October is National Chiropractic Health Month! Let’s take a moment to learn about Chiropractic care and how Chiropractic can help patients of all ages live happy and healthy lives.
Doctors of Chiropractic (DCs) – often referred to as Chiropractors, are conservative care doctors; their scope of practice does not include the use of medications or surgery, but rather they practice a hands-on approach to healthcare. Chiropractors utilize spinal and joint manipulation, therapeutic and rehabilitative exercises, as well as provide nutritional, dietary and lifestyle counseling. Chiropractors are also able to refer patients to an appropriate healthcare provider when chiropractic care is not suitable for the patient’s condition, or the condition warrants co-management in conjunction with other healthcare providers, to ensure the patient’s chiropractic care and medical care are properly coordinated.
Doctors of Chiropractic focus on disorders of the musculoskeletal system and the nervous system and how these systems affect the rest of the body as a whole. Chiropractic can benefit common musculoskeletal complaints, including but not limited to:
● Neck pain & Headaches
● Low back pain
● Disc herniations & Injury
● Joint pain in the arms or legs
● Improve Sports Performance
● Pregnancy Pains
● Enhance Work Ergonomics
● Worker’s Compensation Injuries
● Auto Accidents
● Complications of: Osteoarthritis, Degenerative Disc Disease & Spinal Stenosis
● Daily life: Posture- Upper Cross & Lower Cross Syndrome, Obesity, Balance, Stress, Chronic Pain, & Neuropathy.
What is Spinal Manipulation or an “Adjustment” ?
One of the most common and well known therapeutic procedures performed by Doctors of Chiropractic is spinal manipulation, or also referred to as a “chiropractic adjustment”. An adjustment is a precise force applied to the joints of the spine, or extremity; usually done by hand. By adjusting the affected areas, this helps to restore joint mobility, reduce risk of further injury, reduce pain and muscle tightness, and aid the body to heal and recover.
Tips to Prevent Neck and Back Pain?
There are several simple strategies that can help to prevent the onset of neck and back pain.
● Maintain a healthy diet and weight.
● Remain active—within guidelines and recommendations of your healthcare provider.
● Avoid prolonged inactivity or bed rest.
● Warm up or stretch before exercising or physical activities.
● Wear comfortable and supportive shoes.
● When lifting an object, lift with your legs, keep the object close to your body, and do not twist or over extend your spine.
● Maintain proper posture- especially when sitting at a desk, using electronic devices, driving, or sitting for extended periods of time.
● Quit smoking. Smoking impairs blood flow resulting in oxygen and nutrient deprivation to muscles, spinal tissues and discs, and slows down the rate of healing.
If you would like to be seen by Dr. Norell or Dr. Skow, or discuss if Chiropractic Care is right for you, please call (507) 427-3878 and we would be happy to get you scheduled at the Windom Area Health Outreach Clinic.
Dr. Norell and Dr. Skow treat patients Tuesdays (8am-5pm) and Thursdays (8am-12pm), biweekly.
By Dr. Kylie J. Norell, D.C.