Get back to walking without pain.
Supervised exercise therapy can help people with PAD walk farther with less pain. Our goal with the PAD Exercise Program at Windom Area Health is to have:
- Ability over time to walk for longer stretches before needing to rest
- Reduced leg pain
- Improved muscle strength
- Reduced risk of heart attack or stroke
- Weight loss
Talk to your provider about getting a referral to participate in the PAD Exercise Program at Windom Area Health. If you have any questions about the program, call us at 507-831-2400.
What is PAD?
Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) occurs when plaque builds up inside your arteries. Over time, plaque hardens and results in severely restricted blood flow within your arms and legs, causing pain with activity such as walking.
- Painful cramping in your hips, thighs or calf muscles after walking or climbing stairs
- Leg numbness or weakness
- Coldness in your lower leg or foot
- Sores on your toes, feet or legs that won't heal
- Hair loss or slower hair growth on your feet and legs
- Slower growth of your toenails
- Shiny skin on your legs
- No pulse or a weak pulse in your legs or feet
- Pain or cramping in your arms, when knitting, writing or doing other manual tasks
What to Expect
At your first session, your coach will:
- Take your vitals
- Go over your symptoms and medical history
- Discuss risk factors and lifestyle
- Have you complete a simple walk test
During your scheduled sessions, you will work with a coach to engage in a series of walking exercises at a moderate intensity. Between walking sessions, you'll receive lifestyle health coaching.
Becoming a Patient
- Talk to your provider
- A provider referral is needed
- Contact your insurance for coverage
- Make an appointment at Windom Area Health by calling 507-831-2400