Windom Area Health has a unique and interesting history. Beginning in a home, Windom Area Health has evolved into a flourishing healthcare center serving the residents of Windom and surrounding communities.
Windom Area Health History
June 20, 1871
The village of Windom was platted.
October 10, 1871
The first physician to practice his profession in Cottonwood County was Dr. Allen Smith. After 2 years of service, he returned to Ohio, the state where he emigrated from, and there died.
Mrs. Sophia (Andrew) Ruse started the first hospital in Windom. The Ruse Hospital was located at the present site of the Home for Creative Living. Dr. L.L. Sogge, Dr. J.H. Dudley, Dr. F.R. Wieser and three nurses administered a variety of surgical and medical treatments. Approximately 200 patients were seen annually and paid $3.00 per day for a room.
Mrs. Ruse purchased the hospital. She operated the hospital until 1920 when she sold it back to Dr. L.L. Sogge.
Dr. L.L. Sogge and the Home Mission Society of the Methodist Conference of the Methodist Church owned and operated the hospital.
Dr. L.L. Sogge and Mrs. Sogge deeded the property to the Windom Hospital Association, who continued to operate the hospital until 1942 at which time the hospital was torn down in preparation of building a new hospital.
The new Windom Hospital was built and a formal opening was held. The hospital had 10 employees and 5 doctors.
The growth of the Windom area continually expanded and the New Windom Area Hospital was built and owned by the City of Windom. There were 8 Doctors and Surgeons, approximately 85 employees, 6 specialty clinics and a Governing Board comprised of 7 community members.
Entered into a management relationship with Sanford Health (formerly Sioux Valley Hospital & Health System).
New ER expansion.
Outreach expansion. Addition of new patient care wing, including the Birth Place, our OB wing.
Windom Area Hospital celebrates 30 years of service as a municipally-owned facility. The facility serves the area with 7 Doctors, 3 Extenders, 2 Surgeons, 107 employees, Governing Board and 10 specialty clinics.
Windom Area Hospital partners with Worthington Regional Hospital, Murray County Medical Center, Sanford Tracy Medical Center, Sanford Jackson Medical Center and Sanford Westbrook Medical Center to bring the Sanford Cancer Center to Worthington. Dining Room is also remodeled and open to the public.
The Imaging Department adds in-house digital mammography with the fundraising help of the community.
A new addition was added to the hospital, including a new outreach clinic, surgery center including 2 operating rooms and 7 pre/post-op patient rooms, along with a new main lobby featuring new registration and scheduling areas.
May, 2017 a groundbreaking and grant celebration was held, kicking off the Be Well Path project, which includes a 2/3 mile outdoor path around hospital property, along with outdoor gym equipment.
In July 2018, The Wound & Hyperbaric Healing Center opened at Windom Area Health. Constructed from the vacated Outreach Clinic space, the new center features a reception area, 4 patient exam rooms, staff/office space, and a hyperbaric treatment room, with two hyperbaric chambers.
May 2019 the Rehabilitation Department opened their doors to their new space, which is double their old space, has more privacy, complete with 4 individual physical therapy treatment/evaluation rooms, an occupational therapy evaluation/treatment room, speech therapy evaluation/treatment room, pediatric/sensory room which includes a rock climbing wall and several swings, and Parkinson’s BIG/LOUD treatment room. Also included with the new space is the Power Tower, a new piece of strengthening equipment and the Solo Step, which is a ceiling mounted track system designed to protect patients during the rehabilitation process and a large Hi/Lo mat table.
With the rehabilitation remodel, Windom Area Health also received a new Large Conference Room that is updated with more seating, modern technology and equipment to serve our employees needs.
In April of 2022, the Emergency Department (ED) remodel was completed. This update added additional private treatment rooms, increased the size of its current treatment rooms, and increased the size of the nursing and physician work areas.
Curtains that were previously used to separate some treatment bays are gone, leading to individual, private treatment rooms. An additional privacy update was the installation of white noise machines throughout the ED.
The remodel also included a new ventilation system and an updated trauma room. A boom was added to the trauma room that can be easily moved around, carries medical air and oxygen, and has the ability to vacuum and suction.