Take charge of your diabetes. Reduce complications. Improve your life.
We know that living with diabetes requires the need to make certain life adjustments. With the right tools at your fingertips, diabetes does not have to control you. It is a manageable condition.
The program at Windom Area Health is accredited by the American Diabetes Education and focuses on providing you the knowledge and skills necessary to manage and take charge of your diabetes.
For more information on Windom Area Health’s diabetic program, classes and support groups, please contact Priscilla Comnick, RN/Certified Diabetic Educator, at 507-831-2400.
Dietitians are available by appointment for outpatient services. Physician referral is required.
Contact Abby Kipfer or Betsy Plotz, Registered Dietitians at 507-831-0640 for more information.
Healthy Together Prevention Class
**NOTICE: Due to the growing concern surrounding COVID-19, and for the safety of our community, we will be cancelling the Spring Session of the Healthy Together Prevention Class. Thank you for your support and your understanding.**
These classes are intended for people with hypertension, pre-diabetes or in need of some weight loss help. Each week there will be a new topic for discussion. Also included with the classes are 30 minute workouts, access to a dietitian and a free membership to the Wellness Center for the duration of class. Class is limited to 12 participants and cost is $50.
To register, contact Amber Hughes, Community Health and Wellness Coordinator by March 10th, 2020 at 507-831-0672.
2020 Class Schedule
- March 17 - "Program Introduction & Measuring Up" Activity: Wellness Center Tour
- March 24 - "Introduction to Nutrition" Activity: Snack Packs/Smart Snacks
- March 31 - "Introduction to Exercise" Activity: Group Workout
- April 7 - "Sleep" Activity: Yoga
- April 14 - "Next Steps in Nutrition" Activity: HyVee Grocery Store Tour (Please meet at HyVee)
- April 21 - "Healthy Cooking 101" Activity: Cooking Demo & Optional Meal Prep
- April 28 - "Advancing Your Exercise" Activity: Group Workout
- May 5 - "Stress Management" Activity: Guided Meditation
- May 12 - "Overcoming Obstacles & Wrap-Up" Activity: Q&A Session
- May 19 (Optional) - "Celebrating Successes" Activity: Celebration Meal
Diabetes education is frequently paid for, either partially of in full, by most insurance plans. Check with your insurance provider for specific benefit information. A physician referral is required by all insurers.
Some insurance companies allow for annual education on diabetes care. It is recommended to ask about additional education when you visit your doctor or other health care clinician during your regular check-ups.
We provide individual sessions that include behavior modification and goal setting towards:
- Understanding diabetes by type
- Eating healthy
- Being active
- Taking medications
- Solving problems
- Coping in a healthy way
- Reducing risk
- Glucose monitoring
- Glucose graphing and data reporting
These sessions also provide you with community resource information and additional support that you will find helpful.
Your diabetes education team consists of a multidisciplinary group of certified health professionals:
- Registered Dietician
- Diabetic Educator
- Registered Nurses
Together we will work with your health team to coordinate diabetes care that is just right for you, including glucose monitoring, PO medication, insulin therapy, insulin pump therapy and CGM (continuous glucose monitoring).