Volunteers add so much to our communities! National Volunteer Recognition Week is April 16 -22 and it’s time to celebrate them and call attention to the great things they do. Stop for a minute and think of all the places you encounter volunteers. How would communities, organizations, churches, schools, and businesses function without them? Volunteers are needed almost everywhere. It’s impossible to calculate their financial worth.
At Windom Area Health we are very fortunate to have several volunteer groups. They include our Governing Board, Foundation Board, Windom Area Hospital Auxiliary, Patient Family Advisory Committee and our employees. The leaders on our Boards provide vision, strategic direction and guidance to our organization. They put in many hours to keep Windom Area Health a thriving health care center for the communities we serve. The Foundation and Auxiliary both raise funds for equipment, people and programs for WAH.
Are you interested in volunteering? There are many benefits to sharing your time and talents with others. The Mayo Clinic Health System lists the following benefits to volunteering:
- Meet people and make new friends
- Gain satisfaction from accomplishment
- Offer your skills and caring spirit
- Make an impact in other people’s lives
- Feel needed and appreciated
- Have fun
- Add to your resume
- Be of service to others
- Give of yourself and get back in return
- Give back to your local community
- Share personal good fortune
- Continue a connection during retirement
- Learn new skills
- Be creative and productive in your leisure time
- Serve in a leadership role
Volunteers truly make the world a better place! Every person matters and I invite you to make a difference! If you are interested in volunteering at Windom Area Health please give me a call at 831-0615 or email me at [email protected].
By Kim Armstrong, Executive Director of Compliance, Foundation and Auxiliary